Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Opportunity knocked this morning, but I asked her to leave.

Around 10:30 this morning, two young women rang my doorbell. It was evident from the way they were dressed and the books they were carrying that they were Jehovah's Witnesses. I had just put Caleb down for a nap and was still in my morning lounge-around clothes, in the middle of getting ready for the day. I hesitated, but decided to open the door.

They smiled and greeted me, apologizing for the interruption and explaining that they were going door to door to encourage people to read their Bibles. I politely told them that I agreed with their campaign to read the Bible but that I disagreed with their religion, specifically their view of the deity of Christ and his role as our Savior and Lord. They asked me if they could ask me some further questions, but I said I was not interested. I wished them a good day and closed the door. 30 seconds was all it took to hear their brief introduction and send them away.

As soon as the door was closed, I resumed getting ready for the day. As I was standing in front of the mirror, I felt very convicted. (I don't know why, but standing in front of the mirror often reminds me to examine myself and make confession in prayer.) God reminded me that I had just closed the door on two immortal souls. It wasn't for safety's sake that I had turned them away; unlike others who have knocked on my door, these two young girls were far from physically threatening. I had simply not seen them as Christ would have seen them, lost and in need of a Savior. I had seen them as a nuisance.

I quickly finished getting ready, woke Caleb from his nap, and loaded him in the stroller. I headed out the front door, scanning the street to see if I could find them. I walked around the neighborhood twice, hoping to encounter them, to invite them back to my house to sit in the front yard and talk.

The neighborhood was as quiet as one would expect for a weekday morning. I searched the streets near my house but never found the two girls. I can only pray that another Christian had invited them in and was being lighter and saltier than I had been.

It's fine and dandy to think of sharing Christ to the far reaches of the world, but it really ought to start at my own front door. Next time opportunity knocks, I plan to offer her lemonade and friendship and Christ.

5 comments:

christianne said...

What a great post, Rebecca! I'm so glad you shared this story. I love that you are someone who holds her soul so open before the Lord, willing to be asked to review a situation or attitude differently than you currently are or did.

Anonymous said...

Of note, perhaps they were sad when they walked away feeling that you were the one who was lost.

Rebecca said...

Jadden,

You are right, I'm sure the girls did walk away feeling sad. However, feelings of sadness do not give evidence to the truth of the situation. The question that is important is not whether the girls were sad, but whether they were right. Two contradictory truths cannot co-exist. Either Christ is God, or he is not. I did them a disservice by not encouraging them to reconsider their faith.

What is your understanding of who Christ is? If you were in a similar situation, what do you believe the correct response would be?

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciated your comment. I hope this conversation has been encouraging to you.

--Rebecca

kirsten said...

This is a great post, Bec! Thank you for being so honest and for being the kind of woman who is not afraid to ask the Lord to examine your heart. I have done the same thing so many times and later lamented the fact I wasn't willing to take the time to share my faith with those who believe differently. If they are willing to give up hours to go door-to-door to talk to their neighbors, why can I not take some time to engage them in conversation?

I've been reading through Ephesians lately & have been meditating on what it means to "redeem the time". Your post got me thinking more about it. We live in a world in such desperate need of Christ! Your post is a good reminder that we all need to be examining our actions and making the most of every opportunity.

Thank you so much!

Rykowski family said...

I am proud of you Rabecca. You may not have acted out what you would now do, but God is still pleased with you. None of us are perfect, but through this you have allowed God to show you what he would have you to do in the future. God is almighty and if he knows that they need to find the truth they will one way or another. Don't be to hard on yourself or allow disapointment in there, because that is just what Satin would want. You are Gods precious daughter and Romans 8:1 says There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. You are good stuff and anyone who knows you knows that!