Monday, March 26, 2007

Life as a Leaf

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

A leaf in God's wind. . . that is exactly what I feel like. One minute I am firmly attached to the tree, plugged in and being nourished. The next moment, the wind is blowing with such force that I am shaken from the security of the branches and flying helplessly through the air to only-God-knows-where. At first, it is scary, a helpless free-fall. And then I am reminded that I am but a leaf in God's wind. I am caught up, a tiny leaf, in an exhilarating windstorm. Do I trust Him? I must! He has created me, sustained me and graciously filled my life with blessing upon blessing. He cares for the sparrows and dresses the lilies; surely He will care for me, too.

I am but a leaf in God's wind. Really. . . we all are.

4 comments:

Rykowski family said...

Thanks for that Rabecca. You sure have a way with words. It is senceless to think that anything we do in this life will control what happens to us. We can desire to fall wherever we may but only God can lead us and restfully plant us where he desires us to be, so instead of fighting the wind we should just rest in his care and know that where ever our destination may be that God will will prepare us for the fall and hold us gently in his care.

Kay Ann Wilson said...

hi. :-) are you getting my emails? just curious...i've sent a couple that i'm not sure you're receiving.
it's been sooo long since we've talked, and i'm not sure what your phone number is now! i'll have to see if i can find it. i hope you're doing fine, it sounds like you're going through a period of change. i'll be praying! love-kayann

christianne said...

What a beautiful picture! Did you take that yourself or find it in the trusty Google images archive? That one is a keeper. And the words are certainly a poignant reminder . . . and timely, I'm sure, for all the new inroads you and Josh are hitting upon with the sale of your house.

By the way, I really like the comment by Rykowski Family, the part about the leaf's desire to fall in certain places but ultimately being at the mercy of where God wants us to land. Wow! What a way to take this metaphor even further than I'd gotten it through the post.

haititrip said...

Hey, yea was a giant easter egg hunt! We no longer answere questions with the word ball in them though :] Will be praying for you and josh during this time of transition. Tell Josh I said hey, when are you guys coming for a visit ? :] Caleb's looking pretty cool in the fireman hat! Ok peace :]