Thursday, March 15, 2007

Going Bananas Bread

I recently purchased a LARGE bunch of bananas, half of which turned brown before we could eat them. Why I purchased such a large bunch, I'll never know (call it Costco fever!). But don't worry. . . not a single banana went to waste. They got mushed up and baked into one of the best Banana Bread recipes I've found.

Hope you enjoy.

Going Bananas Bread


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 generous cup mashed bananas
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans
5 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan.
2. In large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add egg and bananas. Stir until just mixed.
3. Add flour, soda, powder, salt & cinnamon. (You can either sift the ingredients before adding OR dump them on top of the batter and use a fork to stir them slightly before mixing with rest of batter.) Mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
4. Stir in nuts, milk and vanilla.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes, or until top is browned and cracked. Halfway through cooking time, sprinkle the top of the loaf with cinnamon and sugar for an added treat.

3 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

mmm-mmm, sounds delicious!

Howza 'bout bringing us a healthy slice when you come by this afternoon?

=D

kirsten said...

YUMM!! I have some bananas browning in my kitchen as we speak. I have been looking for just such a wonderful recipe to put them into. :o)

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a good banana bread recipe. The one I have doesn't call for cinnamon - which would be a nice addition. I'll have to give this one a try.