Monday, November 20, 2006

Like Flies in July

Normally, we are part of a large group that eats out together after Church. Because the group is rather big, we end up waiting a LONG time to get a table. It is hard to really fellowship because the table is so big and spread out that one can't really enjoy fellowshipping with the others at the table. Not only that, but the tab usually averages about $15 per person!

So, we decided to try something new and invite everyone to our house. For about $20-25 total, we were able to feed 10 people a really delicious, home-cooked meal. Not only did we save a lot of money, but our time was so much more enjoyable. After a relaxed meal, the girls stayed in the house to play with Caleb and clean up the kitchen, while the guys hung out in the garage, playing with their RC helicopters and showing off skateboarding tricks. The last of the guests left at 7:00!

Did it make a bigger mess than if we had gone out? Yes, of course it did. Did it mean more work for me? Yep. Was it worth it? Definitely. It was 100% worth it because there is no place like a home to experience true fellowship. Josh and I were excited to be able to provide a meal that everyone enjoyed and a place for our brothers and sisters in Christ to share life together.

I'll admit, it is easier to keep the front door closed, but when we are obedient and open the door, blessings, like flies in July, swarm in!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

i thought it was way more fun too:) much more chance for conversation!! no shouting through applebees...

hey maybe we could have it at my house sometime...

Rebecca said...

Yeah, any time! Just let us know and Josh will announce it in Sunday School.

Anonymous said...

For Elizabeth... ANYTIME! Just ask. :)

For Rebecca... Years ago, it was The Thing To Do; have church family over for a meal and fellowship. Glad to hear you are re-discovering it now that you have your own family and home. It is much warmer and more economical.

Luke Merrill said...

Proud to be a fly. I had a blast hanging out... way better than Applebee's! I just love you guys. You're all like my family. What a blessing! Next time we should all pitch in a couple bucks or all bring something (but I wouldn't want to compete with your cookin'). Until next time,

Luke :)

Elizabeth said...

hmm. this is turning into a forum.

anyway, yes, we could have a potluck (with trustable *not a word* food!)...

ah. reliable. that was the word for which i was looking.

Anonymous said...

Is there a maximum age limit? =O

Or a minimum? ;)

'Cause if there's, say, a minimum of 12 and maximum of 30, I'll volunteer to babysit Caleb!

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would say hello after I came upon your site in my footprints...I enjoyed reading your posts...we have a little in common...dreamed of being a mom forever, left a job and became one and it was bittersweet...now I wouldn't trade being a mom of 3 kids for anything! Anyways, a word of encouragement-keep doing what you can as a wife/mom and enjoy the moments as they quickly speed away! Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

I believe I made an error...I checked your site out from tenthstreetplace (she was in my footprints). I just didn't want you to think I was stalking! :)

Anonymous said...

And now I look like I am anonymous! The previous comment was from me! Hit the wrong button. Have a great day!