Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Important Stuff

Yesterday, I spent most of the day calming my fussy little guy. I didn't get the bed made until 10:30 and didn't get showered until noon. I never did get around to putting on my makeup or doing my hair. There were clothes waiting to be folded and put away, there were clean dishes in the dishwasher waiting to be returned to their homes, and there were bills to be paid. But I only have two arms and that's how many Caleb needed.

When Joshua got home, I told him that I felt like I didn't get anything done all day. He kindly contradicted me. "No," he said, "you got a lot done today. You took care of our baby."

Being a new full-time homemaker, I had high expectations for what I would be able to accomplish around the house. But my husband is right, I've been spending my time doing something even more important. . . I've been holding and enjoying my little boy.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey, you got the bed made and a shower! =)
I tend to measure my self worth by the length of my completed to-do list--and lately it's been pretty small. I read somewhere that as a new parent our only real job is to keep our kid fed, warm, and somewhat clean. Everything else is overtime! And it helps to remember God's perspective.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet husbadn you have you point out the important stuff we moms seem to often forget. Welcome to the wonderful world of motherhood, you will be more blessed than you ever thought possible!
~C

Anonymous said...

Wow! You made the bed! You know, some days I get to dinner and think,"Yikes! I didn't brush my teeth today." Now THAT'S bad- my husband is a dentist!

christianne said...

I loved reading this story, Bec. I love your beautiful heart. And my heart overflows with affection for your "little guy" and the simply wonderful husband God has provided for you. I look back on our friendship and how much both of us have grown in 10 years, and I can't help but stand amazed and in awe and gratitude.