Tuesday, November 14, 2006

11:30

Yesterday my paid maternity-leave ended and today I officially joined the ranks of the thousands of women who have left careers to raise their children. It reminded me of a poem I wrote while in college, dreaming of this day.

11:30

The buzzer on the
macaroni-splattered microwave warns
that the faded t-shirt
and misshapen sweats
were discarded hours ago
by women with real jobs.
But the disapproving hour is ignored
by she with the widened hips
and sagging breasts
who listens only for
the growling tummies
of the macaroni-eaters
whose syruped-fingers
paint the sliding glass doors
and tangled-hair screams
drown out the radio.
Real women get roses.
But only at 11:30 will a
gapped-toothed delivery boy
with a dozen muddy marigolds
offer to help make lunch.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!

christianne said...

The last line is my favorite.

PS: Love the new look!

Anonymous said...

I love you and your mommy-heart. You are beautiful, inside and out!

Anonymous said...

Just heard this read on the radio. congrats.

Rebecca said...

About the radio thing: My mom read this poem on my blog and decided to send it in to Dr. Laura (she told me ex-post facto!). My parents are avid Dr. Laura listeners; my mom will be quite excited to hear that she actually read it.
Anonymous: Thanks for letting me know.
--Rebecca

This and That said...

I heard your story on the Dr. Laura Show. You are become as popular as Preschoolers and Peace! =)

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have a nice family with lots of love to go around. I envy you ;)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

YAY! I heard your prose read on the Dr.Laura XM Radio rerun this morning, and felt compelled to seek you out. Know how I did it? By using the blog search button with the key words, "Splattered Macaroni." It stuck in my mind, because as the mother of 6 kids under the age of 11, macaroni rules our house. Whether it be on art projects or crusted and wiped underneath the kitchen table.

Caleb is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Came by way of dr laura. I admire what you have done and good luck.

not2brightGRAM said...

Go here! http://www.drlaura.com/letters/eow.html

Thanks, Dr. Laura...