Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Gentle Birth Formula

I've had several of you ask me about the herbal supplement I took during the last 5-weeks of my pregnancy. Instead of emailing the same info over and over again, I thought I'd post the information on here.

Since Caleb is my first child, I don't have any way of knowing if the Gentle Birth Formula by Mountain Meadow Herbs is the reason my labor and delivery were so smooth. However, I have no reason to think that it is not, and for $30, it's worth the risk!

I'm not normally into the whole herbal, alternative medicine thing. Far from it. . . I tend to be a bit skeptical. However, this product came recommended by my friend, Kay Ann, and after talking with my doctor about it, I figured it was worth a try. There wasn't much to lose and a whole lot to gain. The herbs are herbs that midwives have been using for a long time and even though some of that folk medicine is bogus, some of it isn't.

If you decide to try it, please let me know what you think of it. I'm curious to hear from someone who can compare it to a previous, non-herbal-supplemented birth.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I hope to be an anecdotal success story! =) I started taking them 4 weeks before my due date--the bottle says to start 5 weeks before, but I figured since Caleb was born a week early, I'd hold off a bit so I could squeeze those last two night shifts in. Scientific, huh? I'm all for the placebo effect! Whatever helps me think that I'm doing something to help.

Rebecca said...

Whoah! Are you already down to the last 4 weeks????? That flew by. When is the actual due date?

Jessica said...

December 18! Wo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

December 18th is a good day to have a baby :) I had my last one on December 18th, 2003, in water by a roaring fire in my bedroom.

And although that story could lead one to think I'd be the herbal type, I wasn't taking any... and when the midwife asked if I wanted some herbs for afterbirth pains (worse with each baby, and I've had six), I turned to my husband and said, "Honey, prescribe me some Vicodin!"

Blessings to you, Jessica. I will pray for you on the 18th, and may God give you grace as you labor.