Friday, November 10, 2006

Brain Sells

I was writing to my friend, Christianne, about how my blog used to have posts that expressed a thoughtful ideas. In case you haven't noticed, this blog has turned into a photo gallery for the cutest 1-month old around. I'm not apologizing for that, I just thought that perhaps I should explain the "Brain Sell" Phenomenon.

I have this theory that when a woman becomes pregnant, 50% of her brain cells are donated to the construction project of the new little body. Then, after she gives birth to the babe, the child continues to siphon brain cells via the breastmilk. If this theory is true, I figure that I am now operating on about 30% of my previous brain cell capacity.

Strange things happen at 30% capacity. Spelling and grammatical errors that would never have occurred prior to motherhood are suddenly cropping up everywhere. (Proof: when typing "brain cells" I keep typing "brain sells" and having to backspace and correct it. In another month when I've dipped below 30%, I won't even think "brain sells" looks wrong!) In addition to rise in spelling and grammatical errors, there is also the sudden inability to construct deeper thoughts. For a brain operating on 30% (not to mention the 30% sleep factor, too) coming up with corny captions to photos is daunting enough. . . deeper thought is out of the question!

Perhaps my missing cells will return someday. . . though judging by some of the other mothers I know, I am not hopeful! In the meantime, I hope you are enjoying the photos.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just exactly which moms are you judginf this by?!!!!

Anonymous said...

as long as you aren't implying that mothers are stupid :)

christianne said...

LOL! I just finished responding to your e-mail and laughed out loud (again!) at your thoughts upon this subject.

You crack me up, my friend. You are the most sane and normal new mother I've ever met. AND you have one of the most beautiful young ones I've ever seen. I should know. I'm not planning on having babies ever, so my opinion that Caleb is adorable should count for more than most people's.

Thanks for the link to my blog, by the way.

Love you, girl.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but Christianne, the best laid plans of mice and men... and I was never going to have more than four...

Now, about that. How many brain cells do you think those of us who have been pregnant eight times have??? Never mind it took me three hours to write this...

:D

Rebecca said...

Kendra, I'm not sure what H is studying in math, but you may want to have him explain negative numbers to you =)

Anonymous said...

Huh? :D