Thursday, September 18, 2008

Parenting Book Recommendations

Jen recently asked me where I learned about the idea of Chair Time. I remember that I read about it in several books, but I was devouring those kind of books for a while and I really don't remember. To add to the fact that my brain now functions at half-speed thanks to the two little bundles of joy I call children, I also moved from CA to Singapore since reading those books and they are packed in a box somewhere. What I do remember is several conversations with mothers of large families (like Heather and Kendra) who recommended training Caleb to play quietly for extended periods of time. I'm very thankful to have wise friends and family that I can learn from.

While I don't remember which books introduced the idea of chair time/quiet play, I do remember a few of the books which stood out to me as particularly insightful or helpful:

Shepherding a Child's Heart
by Ted Tripp
The Most Important Place on Earth by Robert Wolgemuth
Your Child's Profession of Faith by Dennis Gundersen (not what you're expecting)
Parenting in the Pew by Robbie Castleman
Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas
The Mother at Home by Rev. John S.C. Abbott

As with any book, I recommend that you read with discernment and judge everything by the standard of Scripture. And, keep in mind that not every great idea works in every family. Just because something worked well for so-and-so, doesn't mean you should feel guilty if your family looks completely different (I am reminding myself!) Even if you only implement one or two ideas out of a thousand, it's good to hear from others who are further down the path.

Now it's your turn. . . Aside from the Bible, the best source of wisdom, which books/blogs would you recommend for parenting wisdom?

3 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Fresh Elastic for Stretched Out Moms, Barbara Johnson.

Recommended a little tongue-in-cheek for the young moms who generally read Rebecca's blog. It is actually a wonderful book, but addresses the disappointments that can occur later in life when you are finished raising your children and they've made their own choices; many of which are not God-ward.

I have not read this book in years, but I do remember laughing and crying -both full bore- at different times in the book.

Again, a book that must be held alongside the Scriptures for discernment, but you can not read it without developing a deep respect and affection for its author.

not2brightGRAM said...

P.S. Johnson is known for her humorous book titles. One of my favorites is, Mama, Grab the Hammer, There's a Fly on Papa's Head!

Gina Marie said...

I loved Sacred Parenting! I think the idea of chair time might have come from Childwise, by Ezzo. At least I think I read something like that in that book. Maybe he called it "room time." My kids had that until about 2 years ago - an hour in the afternoon when they were in their rooms so I could have some time alone. Now we're too busy for it.