Sunday, September 14, 2008

Chair Time Revisited

Caleb: Chair Timer Extraordinaire

If there is one thing I would recommend that a mom of a toddler do as a way to prepare for a new baby, it would be chair time (or quiet-play time). All of our chair time training of the last 6 months has more than paid off these last two weeks. Waking several times a night to feed a newborn is very tiring. But waking several times a night to feed a newborn and then caring for an energetic toddler all day is downright exhausting!

Caleb is now capable of sitting quietly on the couch in our extra room and playing (doing puzzles and reading books) for up to 90 minutes. (I normally limit his daily quiet-play time to 45 minutes, but there have been a few times when the timer has gone off and he was playing so cheerfully, that I reset the timer and "let" him have more chair time.) If you're single or married without children, 90 minutes might not sound like much, but to a mother of small kids, 90 minutes to yourself feels like an eternity.

Caleb and I have been working on chair time since February, which means I have had sufficient time to make absolutely sure that I can trust him to obey and remain on the chair, a SAFE place, until I come to get him. That means I am free to shower or nap or just sit on the couch and veg. Of course, when I do nap, I still leave my door and the door to his room open so that I can hear him the whole time. . . moms have this cool/annoying ability to sleep and yet remain totally cognizant of all noise in the house.



Anyway, if you have a toddler and are expecting a younger sibling (or even if you aren't expecting a younger sibling), do yourself a huge favor and start working on quiet-play time every day. I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, you will be very glad you did.

Bonus: Chair time is also a great way to train a toddler to sit quietly during church. =)

4 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Who ever came up with Chair Time was very wise. It seems like a lifesaver for you!

In my day, we used play pens. I think the concept is the same. We trained our babies to play quietly and/or read a book while we got a few things accomplished.

Of course, some people misused play pens, leaving their kids in there for hours on end or for punishment. Used properly, though, they were wonderful.

It gives me such joy to see Caleb being trained to exercise self control. It will serve him well all his life! You're such a great mom...

Anonymous said...

that sure is great advise to pass on to young mothers....can see how helpful that would be....love the picture of him..looks like such a big boy............hurry home....miss you all........

not2brightGRAM said...

Honestly, I don't think I speaking out of bias, but that boy is darned handsome!

Anyone (not related) who disagrees?!

Jen said...

Ever since your last "chair time" post, I've been wanting to ask you about the parenting/toddler books you've been reading.

You said, "I can't take credit for coming up with this wonderful idea (I've read about it in a few books."

So, which books do you recommend?