Monday, February 23, 2009

Grocery Shopping with Caleb

I have been getting the biggest kick out of Caleb lately. He's got something to say about everything! It's as if the first two years worth of thought have finally formulated into words and he just feels compelled to get it all out.

We just got home from a much-needed trip to the grocery store. The kids were sick last week and I had already put off going the week before, so by today, I really needed to go. That meant, I was desperate enough to take both kids with me, in broad daylight. Brave, I know.

Had someone felt so inclined to follow us through the grocery store, they could have gleaned enough information about us to steal our identities, at least our food identities. Caleb found it virtually impossible to pass by any item he recognized without pointing it out and providing some sort of commentary on it. For instance, the cereals:

Hey Mom, look. Cereal!! That's the kind Daddy likes.

Yep.

We need to get some for Daddy.

Very thoughtful of you, Caleb. I guess we can get one for Daddy.

Ummm. . . maybe just two?? (it helps that this also happens to be his favorite cereal as well)

or fruit:

Oh wow! Apples. There are a lot of apples! Mom, those are the apples I like. You like apples, too, Mommy. Can we get apples, Mom???


So, if you have any questions about what the Redins like to eat, just ask Caleb. He'll be more than happy to tell you.

5 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

I remember this stage, especially with Dan. Better keep lots of answers handy!

christianne said...

I found it entertaining to read this post, not just for Caleb's commentary but also for the large fonts that exclaimed everything you were saying. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember taking Michael with me when was about that age to the store...we always ended up with a little HotRod car....yes he did have quite a few by the time he went to school, and I went to the store alone!! (note: back then they were about $.39!!)

Rebecca said...

Christianne, I had fun doing the big words. It makes it feel more like I'm talking with inflection. Oh, and your long-overdue email is still being drafted. . . little by little but I promise it is coming!! =)

christianne said...

I definitely read it as though you were speaking with inflection! That's what made me laugh. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, friend!