Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Favorite: Naptime

There is no hour of the day so peaceful as the afternoon hours when Caleb takes a nap. It seems that my morning hours are usually filled with laundry and other get-the-day-going activities. But the 1 1/2 hours of quietness in the afternoon have become a real favorite of mine. I have been able to read my Bible, finish a few books on my lengthy list, do a little baking, and every now and then sneak in a little nap myself.

For a mother, nearly every hour of the day (and sometimes the night, too) is filled with care for the perpetually curious, ever-hungry little children God has given to her care. But, He was gracious enough to cause those little wigglers to need an afternoon nap so that their dear mothers could retain a semblance of sanity! Isn't He gracious!?

2 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Maybe that's why I am a tad insane. My last one quit taking naps long before I was ready for her to!

;-)

Christin said...

Amen!

The other day, Adam was pondering why babies nap and sleep so much. We discussed how they use so much energy growing physically and learning. Adam talked about how he was exhausted when he lived in Costa Rica and spent the first few weeks imersed in a language he didn't know. He said he would collapse in a nap every afternoon until he began understanding Spanish. He decided that babies nap because they are learning so much and the brain expansion takes a lot of energy.

Finally, I said that all this may be true, but God created babies to nap so that mothers would have a chance to keep their sanity.

Praise God for nap time!!!