Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Daddy-Way

There is a definitive difference between the way Mommy feeds Baby and the way Daddy does. Mommy gives little bites, just enough to fill the tiny mouth (even if it takes 30 minutes for Baby to eat 3 Tbs of pureed fruit). Daddy, on the other hand, gives great big bites, replete with airplane noises and choo choos, because the faster the bowl is empty, the better (even if only 1/3 of it actually arrived to its appointed destination!).

I feed Caleb on the days when nutritional intake is of the essence. Josh feeds Caleb on days when time is of the essence.

It is tempting, being a Mommy, to think that the Mommy-way is the right way, but it isn't. Daddy's way is fun and fast and it gives Mommy a much needed break. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you have a husband who does things the Daddy-way, let him, even if it is different than the way you would do things. Let your husband do things his way and only interfere if there is real danger involved. Instead of itemizing everything he's doing "wrong", try standing back and appreciating everything he's doing right (like loving you and your kids). So what if the after-dinner clean-up takes a little longer. So what if there is water on the bathroom floor because of bathtub splash sessions. That's just the Daddy-way! Remember. . . there are plenty of women out there who would love the extra clean-up and water puddles if it meant they had a husband who helped out! Some of those women used to have husbands who helped out, but their critical spirit stifled their husband's willingness. Don't be one of those women!

"A continual dripping on a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike." Prov 27:15

"Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop, than in a house shared with a contentious woman." Prov 21:9

Here is a recent Daddy Day photo I though you might enjoy. When I came out into the kitchen and found this face, I couldn't help but smile!





P.S.--Thanks for all your help, Josh. I really do appreciate it when you feed, bathe or change Caleb. Especially on days when I'm needing a break or just a few minutes to myself. You always come to the rescue just in time! It is nice to be on your team.

5 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Beautiful!

You've found one of the secrets to a successful marriage...

christianne said...

I loved reading the differences between you and Josh in this post, and also how you can stand back and appreciate Josh for who he is and what he does. It's such a joy not to "micromanage" life, isn't it? I've found incredible freedom by just letting go of so much I used to be inclined to hold onto.

Rykowski family said...

You do a great job of being such an encourager. I must say I like those Daddy moments they always seem to make the cutest pictures! haha

Kay Ann Wilson said...

SO good to hear and be reminded of this! it's never worth it to act like i know how to do it better, even though it's tempting and maybe even true sometimes. :-) i so much appreciate the blessing of a husband that wants to help.

Christin said...

You are so right, Rebecca! Thanks for the encouragement. I started out as one of those moms who corrected Daddy. Then I realized that I could let Daddy do it his way or I could do it myself. I quickly decided the break from responsibility was worth whatever mess arose. Then, I saw how much Luke enjoys it when Daddy does it. Daddy makes things fun. Mommy (this one at least) tends to be all business too often. I thank God for a husband who wants to help and be a part of our son's life.