Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Industrious Revolution

I've decided to implement something new. I'm calling it "The Industrious Revolution." The plan is to set aside time to work industriously. The trick is in the adjective. I mean, I work now. . . I am usually caught up on laundry, the dishes and other household chores, but I wouldn't say that I tackle my work industriously! I meander. I get side-tracked. And, even though the work is getting done, I feel lazy. And laziness is one of those things, like yeast, that seems to have an amazing ability to permeate everything in the blink of an eye.

Here's the nitty-gritty of the plan, in case you are in need of an industrious revolution in your life, too. I am separating my work into three categories: daily chores, weekly chores and projects. I am setting aside one half-hour first thing in the morning (after Josh leaves for work) to tackle my daily chores.
  1. Quick-Clean* the Kitchen
  2. Tidy Living Room
  3. Make Bed
  4. Start a Load of Laundry
  5. Quick-Clean the Bathroom
  6. Vacuum Walkways
  7. One Weekly Chore (Dust, Vacuum Whole House, Change Sheets, Etc)
Caleb is usually in a great mood first thing in the morning and loves to play by himself in his Exersaucer. Lately, I've been using that time to read the headlines, check my email, chat on the phone, and dilly-dally on the computer (the dilly-dallying is where I'm starting to see some laziness creep in!), all while the breakfast dishes sit in the sink and our bed is unmade. So, starting today, things are going to be different. I am going to get Caleb settled in for play-time, put on a worship C.D., set the timer for 30 minutes and have at it! I'll have to work INDUSTRIOUSLY to get it all done in a half-hour, but it's do-able.

The second work-time of the day will coincide with either Caleb's morning or afternoon nap (whichever we are home for). I am going to write a list of projects I want to tackle. I frequently find myself saying "Oh, I need to ______. I don't have time right now, but I'll have to get to that later." Unfortunately, I find myself saying that over and over about the same things. I'm going to keep a list on the side of the refrigerator and as I think of things, I will write them down. Every day, I will take the top thing on the list and begin to work on it. I'll work industriously on it for 30 minutes or until it is done. Whichever comes first. If I can't finish in 30 minutes, at least I will have started!

I know this sounds a little Type-A. It probably is. But, watching Amazing Grace and reading about Wilberforce's life has reminded me that self-discipline and perseverance are the means God uses to accomplish His work through us. I'm quite sure that God has bigger plans than just the breakfast dishes and the laundry, but character building starts with little things. Hebrews 6:12 says, "We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised." (NIV) Since my list of heroes does not include one lazy person, I realized that I need to ask God to help me get rid of laziness in my own life! That's where the idea of the Industrious Revolution was born.

I'll let you know how the Revolution goes. If you decide you want to join me (your task-list may look quite different from mine), let me know. It's always more encouraging to know others are on the same path.


*I have this theory that I have dubbed the "quick-clean" theory. The theory states that by cleaning something every day, you almost never have to do any deep-cleaning since the thing in question never has a chance to get deep-dirty! =) (I also think this theory has spiritual applications but perhaps that would be best considered in another post.)

9 comments:

Rykowski family said...

That is just what I was needing to hear! I to have had a very similar experience. I use Jayden as an excuse to be lazy but in actuality she to sits in her exersaucer while I stick my lazy butt in the computer chair. I knew I was getting lazy as well. So I decided to start fasting from the computer in the morning and after lunch if there is something I want to do then I can. Today was my first day. It is amazing how much time I spend on the computer! I was able to get so much done and found myself fighting in my mind not allowing myself to be on the computer. I found that I was feeling guilty because Travis goes to work and works hard all day and I am kind of a loaf. I like you have been getting everything done but have lots of extra time I could be using to clean and honor my husband and God. Thank you so much for sharing! It is nice to hear another perspective.

Kendra Fletcher said...

Rebecca, you are so far ahead of the game! When I had one, our tiny apt wasn't really truly cleaned regularly and I fiddled away so much of my time. Oh! If I could return to those days and redeem the time.

Fast forward yourself to a time when you'll hopefully have several kiddos keeping you hopping and you will be so grateful for the habits you've established now!

not2brightGRAM said...

Great plan, my dear!

(For the record, Bec's is FAR from lazy. She's too hard on herself... )

Being at home after working fulltime can FEEL lazy. Nevertheless, I fully support your Redeem the Time plan.

Christin said...

What a brilliant idea! You have inspired me to get off my lazy bum and get things done. You are right. It is so easy to let the baby be an excuse to be lazy. I thank God that in his wisdom we only have one firstborn. But I also thank God for the sweet time we get with our firstborn. I can't believe my first year as a mommy is nearly gone. When do you have to stop parking in the "New Mother" spot at the grocery store?

Anonymous said...

You are such an encouragement :D

Rebecca said...

Christin: which store do you shop at?? I want a "new mother" spot! Haha.

Rykowski family: you hit the nail on the head. It's not a matter of just "getting things done" but once those things are done, how am I using the rest of my time to glorify God and honor my hard-working husband? Unfortunately, I don't think I've been using it well!

All: It's so good to hear there are others of like mind who are striving for the same goals!

This and That said...

Rebecca:
You are amazing! You are such a great role model for me. =)

Jen said...

Bec, you have always been an inspiration and model for me in the area of organization, time management, and efficiency. I have been feeling rather listless at home with Kate and have been trying to find a comfortable routine or daily rhythm. You know me and this is not an area of strength! Please do continue to share your progress and ideas in this area. I am encouraged. :o)

Anonymous said...

Great Title. I was encouraged by your post as I have been thinking through similar things lately. Perhaps more in a general way like- how can i be monitarily productive to be able to bless my family and others(like the Proverbs 31-woman of force [literal translation]) now and once we have kids. In this day in age, it seems that women limit themselves to either being 'career' moms or 'stay at home' moms. Personally, i do not think it is the best thing to label yourself in either category. We are all called to work, you may not have an official job title but there are always good and right things for us all to pursue. So, I ask myself how can I live these principles out effectively. Time is easily consumed due to lack of direction / purpose, that is where discernment comes in (Ie: is it the best use of time, how will this benefit others,what are my motives in pursuing this etc..).I find the process of working these things out is the real challenge. Of course this will look different for each person but the point is to move forward. So, all that to say, I am very encouraged that you are doing specific things to be industrious right now. Press on. (Tasha)