Monday, February 26, 2007

Who are your heros?

Sadly, most people would have a hard time answering this question. Either they 1) don't have any heroes, or 2) have the wrong heroes. There is a grave danger in both.

1) We are humans and therefore we are moved by stories. Especially, true stories. Life can be overwhelming and our circumstances can seem insurmountable. But stories of great men and women who have gone before offer us hope. They make us strive for greatness. They swell our souls. Without heroes, this generation has not learned to look beyond itself or dream of great things.

2) Even worse than having no heroes at all is having the wrong heroes. Popular singers, actors, sports stars and wealthy entrepreneurs may have success, but usually this success is purchased at the price of their souls. This culture is emulating the vainest of the vain, the most foolish of the fools. We have lauded the shameful and shamed the laudable.

Hopefully, as a Christian, you haven't fallen into either of these two traps. Hopefully, when asked the question, "Who are your heroes?" you can respond with a long and vibrant list of men and women who have given their lives to the service of Christ. Perhaps they are well-known, perhaps not. It really doesn't matter. What matters is that they lived, and that they lived well.

William Wilberforce is now on my list of heroes. Go watch Amazing Grace and, if Wilberforce is not already on your list, add him! And, when you're done adding William Wilberforce, go ahead and add these men and women, too.

7 comments:

christianne said...

Hey Bec,

What is it about being human that you think makes us moved by stories? Is it because our own lives move forward and unfold as story? Is it because God is weaving a story in all humanity? I believe both these things but wondered if you had other thoughts in mind.

William Wilberforce is a hero of mine, as well.

not2brightGRAM said...

I think it's wonderful to have heroes, of the genuine sort. It's been sickening this past month to see all the time devoted to Anna Nicole Smith's decaying remains, and Britney Spears bizarre behavior.

Why not instead be inspired by someone whose life was lived outside themselves? That's the sort of inspiration I need!

Bec, thanks for the post. I intend to bookmark that site and visit it often...

kirsten said...

He is nwo a hero of mine & I can see why he has become a hero for so many already. Language fails me when I think of his faith, obedience, & the grace of God moving all of it forward. I look forward to seeing the many & unique ways in which God will use each one of us to be a blessing to the world in which we live!

Anonymous said...

I just found that "131" book a couple months ago, and have been working through it with one of my students. It has been quite the education (for him AND for me)!!

christianne said...

Hey Judi,

It's been a bit discouraging to follow the headlines about Anna Nicole and Britney on my end, too, but the funny thing for me has been the sinking feeling in my heart that just continues to grow every time I read one of those articles. (I keep reading them. I don't know why. I think it has something to do with what I'm about to say.)

Sometime during our dating life, Kirk was watching a special on TV that covered some aspect of Billy Idol's career. He called me and asked the question, "Who's praying for Billy Idol?" He figured next to no one was, so we started to do it.

A few months later, he saw another TV special about Danny Bonaducci (from Patridge Family) fame whose life has been such a tangle ever since. He called and asked me the question again, "Who's praying for Danny Bonaducci?" We figured next to no one was, so we started praying for him, too.

All this to say that as I've watched the weirdness of the Anna Nicole and Britney stories grow, my heart keeps sinking for them. (More for Anna Nicole's little girl, of course, in that situation since Anna Nicole's now gone!) I keep asking myself, "Who is praying for Britney Spears?" She has gotten so lost. I wonder when she'll ever hit the bottom. And I guess I keep hoping God will save her back into His arms again.

Kind of unrelated to the purpose of Bec's post here, but I thought maybe others could join in praying for the lost souls out there in the public eye.

Christin said...

Rebecca - Thanks for the post and the link. In the business of life I had forgotten to remember my heroes.

Christianne - Thank you for the reminder. I felt the call to pray for Jessica Simpson a couple years ago. I saw a biography on her in which it showed her first interview with the major record label that originally signed her. In the interview, when asked why she wanted to be a star, she responded that she wanted to show girls that they didn't have to compromise their beliefs in order to accomplish their dreams. Over the years, I have been so disgusted by all the compromises Jessica Simpson has made in life. She and her family have gotten so far from their Christian roots. I was praying for her. I will resume doing so.

Rebecca said...

Christianne, yes, you said it perfectly! I think we are drawn to stories because that is how we experience life. Each individual experiences his or her life as a story, but also, societies and generations experience the story-ness of life. God's word is given to us in a story and Christ taught in stories.

That's why lives, such as the superstars mentioned, are so sad. We see a story unfold tragically and we are drawn to it. Thanks for the reminders that such tragedy should be used as an opportunity to pray!