Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The basics of our Faith

When I was growing up, I had never heard of protestants going to catechism. As far as I knew, whatever it was, it was something Catholics did. Then when I was in junior high, my friend, Lisa, invited me to go with her to her catechism class at the Turlock Covenant Church. It sounded so mysterious that I couldn't wait to go with her to find out what it was. I was awfully surprised when it turned out to be totally normal. We played games and sang songs and then her pastor came in and taught us the answer to a question about Christianity. I couldn't figure out what the catechism part of "going to catechism" was.

I eventually learned that Catechism isn't just a Catholic thing and it isn't mysterious at all. It is a way of teaching the principal tenets of the Christian faith using questions and answers. And, kids are particularly good at learning this way. But, don't assume kids are the only ones who can learn this stuff. I'm learning right along with Caleb as we go through the Small Children's Catechism.



Someone is going to fill our kids' minds with something; why not let it be us, their parents, filling them with God's Word and easy to understand summaries of the things we believe are True. Obviously, memorizing the answers to the questions is just a start. It's our kids' hearts that matter. The ultimate goal is to lead our children to Christ!

If you aren't sure how to catechize, or you want to add some fun into it, I'd recommend Dana Dirksen's Questions with Answers series. They are songs taken from the Westminster Shorter Catechism. I have found that songs are one of the easiest ways for me to memorize, so I have really been enjoying the cd we downloaded from iTunes. Check her out and let me know what you think.

6 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

It was a much more informal way, but you kids learned a lot from the "Story Hour Bible Tapes". Remember?

The coolest thing is... they were kids' tapes, but I learned a lot, too!

Gina Marie said...

I went to a Covenant church from the time I was 11 onwards. We didn't call it catechism though - we called it confirmation class. Are we talking about the same thing? Evangelical Covenant is an offshoot of the Lutheran church (a long time ago) so that's why they retain the confirmation aspect. And I learned that tidbit IN the confirmation class. :)

Rebecca said...

Gina, I think you might be right that it was called confirmation. . . but I do remember "catechism" coming up when she invited me.

Rebecca said...

Mom, the Bible tapes are still around! I got them on CD and then uploaded them to our iTunes so Caleb and Annabelle can listen to them, too.

Anonymous said...

ya, my question was also if you still had the bible tapes!!! you and Dan sure got good use out of them...every night you would play them....love ya.........

kirsten said...

i have to say, i loved the catechism classes i completed. obviously, i didn't go through with them but i think it's so key to teach the truth in a straight-forward, question-and-answer type of way: no presumptions or assumptions, everybody learning the same thing. ;o)