Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Sip of Summer

Nothing signals summer like fresh homemade lemonade and limeade. In our house, yesterday was the kick-off of summer.

Limes were on sale and I'm a sucker for sales. So, last night at 9:45 I pulled out the juicer and started juicing the limes I bought on a whim at the grocery on my way home from work. At 10:00 my husband was wondering what all the ruckus was about (those electric juicers can be quite noisy) and at 10:30, we were sipping on glassfuls of summertime!

I think I've finally perfected the recipe to have just the right combination of mouth puckering and lip smacking. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

Rebecca's Fresh Lemonade/Limeade

Ingredients:

About 10-12 medium sized limes and/or lemons (enough for about 1 1/4 cups of juice)

2 1/2 cups tepid water

1 cup sugar

2 cups ice cubes

about 3 cups cold water

pretty glass pitcher

Instructions:

Finely grate the rind of 1-2 limes/lemons. Reserve.

Combine sugar and tepid water in sauce pan and heat over medium heat to completely dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, juice the limes/lemons (save one empty rind). Add juice to lime/lemon zest. Cut empty rind into small wedges and add to juice mixture.

Add ice and juice mixture to sugar base and carefully transfer to pitcher. Add cold water to taste.

Serve over ice in tall glass goblets to your favorite 6-8 people =)

No comments: