Sunday, May 04, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things. . .

In keeping with a tradition I started in college, every year on (or in this case, near) my birthday, I like to jot down a list of things that capture my life at that moment--the number of things corresponding with the number of years. Here is this year's list:

(Disclaimer: the list is random and definitely NOT comprehensive!)

Rebecca's Favorite 30
1. Listening to the squeal of excitement and the motorcycle sound effects that Caleb invariably makes when Josh comes through the front door after being gone at work all day.
2. 7:30 PM (Caleb's bedtime)
3. Playing Lost Cities with Josh in the evenings
4. Traveling
5. Ceyenne Pepper
6. Chair Time
7. Little hello kicks from Baby #2
8. Comfortable walking shoes
9. Bloglines
10. Blooies' Mushroom Bacon Burger (the best burger in Singapore)
11. Gmail
12. The mini-mart in our condo
13. Truth for Life podcast
14. Board books
15. Letters or packages from CA =)
16. Cheese (a long-time favorite made even more beloved due to the scarcity here!)
17. Tomato soup and grilled cheese
18. Seeing the bus I need come into sight, just as I arrive to the bus stop.
19. Homemade Pizza Margherita (recipe soon to follow)
20. Saturday adventures with Josh and Caleb around Singapore
21. Listening to Caleb and Josh sing Jesus Loves Me together before bed.
22. Seeing monkeys out our window
23. Deciphering Caleb's toddler talk
24. Finding my toothbrush ready and waiting for me
25. Cards and notes from Josh
26. Clean sheets that smell like Bounce
27. Saturday morning breakfasts
28. Lemonade
29. Friends who come all the way across the world to visit us
30. Skype

7 comments:

christianne said...

rebecca, i love that you continue this tradition every year. i remember reading previous years' installments on this very blog! and hearing about it for the first time from you in person. it's a fun way to celebrate a snapshot picture of your life in the present year.

bloglines is one of my favorite things, too. and gmail. :)

not2brightGRAM said...

Does "the thought count" if I want to come and see you, but my M.D. forbids it! How I wish I could...

I, too, love this tradition you have. It makes me think of that old gospel hymn, "Count Your Blessings".

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

REFRAIN:

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

(Refrain)

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

(Refrain)

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

(Refrain)


John­son Oat­man, Jr., 1897

Anonymous said...

rebecca...i am continually intrigued with the whole "monkeys outside your apartment" comments you've made...that alone makes me want to visit singapore...
fletch

This and That said...

Happy Birthday!!!
I love your list....and I also love
#9,11,15,29,30! =)

Sharon said...

Rebecca- I love your list! I wrote on for my b day, what an uplifting reminder that we are blessed! I wasn't sure about turning 25, but by the en of my list, I had more blessings to be thankful for than birthdays. Hope your day was special. You will be getting a late card. Sorry

kirsten said...

a fun list to read & a great tradition!

do you ever compare with previous lists to see what's changed?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rebecca, I wish your mom could come too, cause I was going to come with her. Your list of blessings is a great idea. Unfortunately for me I know I'll forget to do it by the time mine comes back around. Maybe I'll just have to write one now! P.S. I love the "boots video".