Monday, May 19, 2008

Pizza Margherita

I have been experimenting with making homemade pizza lately (finding good pizza here is kind of hard). I think I finally settled on a pizza dough recipe. It's flavorful, thin but not crackery, and easy to make. Here is the dough recipe and an idea on what to do with it.

Honey & Wine Pizza Dough
(serves 2-3 people)

In a mixing bowl combine:
  • 3/4 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1 1/2 tsp active yeast
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
Allow yeast to foam (about 5 minutes) before stirring in:
  • 3 cups flour

Turn on to floured board and knead 2 minutes. Place in oiled bowl, cover, and allow to double (about 1 hour). Punch down and allow to rest 15 minutes. Divide in 2. Roll out into 8-10" rounds.



Pizza Margherita
(makes two small pizzas)

In a small bowl combine:
  • 3-4 Roma Tomatoes (or any good ripe tomatoes)--diced
  • 2 cloves garlic--minced
  • 3 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (while dough is rising). Spread tomato mixture evenly on the pizza dough rounds. Sprinkle with:
  • fresh chopped basil
Bake at 475 for 6 minutes then top with:
  • shredded mozzarella cheese
Return to oven and finish baking, about 4 minutes. Top with fresh basil and serve immediately.

7 comments:

christianne said...

mmmm . . . this sounds yummy to my tummy that tried to make a homemade meal tonight that didn't go over quite as successfully as i had hoped it would. so now i'm eating cheese slices, imagining the taste of this yummy pizza margherita in my mouth instead. :)

not2brightGRAM said...

Is that an ACTUAL photo of a finished pizza you made?! WOW!

Rebecca said...

Christianne, it IS yummy to the tummy. If you haven't experimented with making homemade breads before, you could probably even buy a frozen pizza shell and then just top it using the Margherita recipe. I can almost guarantee the results =)

Mom, yep, that's an actual photo. It's too bad Rick can't have cheese. He would like it. It almost rivals Filipi's. . . almost.

Sharon said...

Looks good, I will have to try it!

Jessica said...

It's on my menu for this week! Can't wait to try it.

Jess

Anonymous said...

I would like to order 2...when will you deliver???? sure looks good...did it tase as good as it looks????

Anonymous said...

Ok the first thing that came to my mind was "who would think to put wine in pizza dough"? But then rebecca, you know what kind of cook i am :-0 Then I saw "jessica's" response. Is that my Jessica?! Anyway...I have had Marghrita pizza in a restuarant and it was veryyy good. I dont know about Filipes good though ;-)