Friday, March 14, 2008

Update on Chair Time

If you read my original post, you know my goal was to have Caleb sitting for Chair Time for 30-minutes by the end of March. I underestimated his abilities! For the last week, Caleb has been quietly "reading" on his chair for 35 minutes at a time!

This was a good reminder to me that toddlers are capable of much more than we often realize. Their behavior (or misbehavior) is often (not always, but often) a reflection of our expectations. I am guilty of making excuses for Caleb in many situations where I probably shouldn't. I am not talking about being hard-nosed or ungracious for times when he is truly tired or hungry or upset for some reason, but a lot of times, I am the problem because I am either too lazy or too preoccupied to let Caleb know what my expectations are or to consistently follow through with consequences.

Like most kids his age, he still LOVES to please me. When I ask him to do simple tasks, he usually jumps on the opportunity. . . even when that task is to sit quietly on the bus with his hands folded. I need to remember this and use it to my advantage right now, because it won't always be this easy to train him!

1 comment:

not2brightGRAM said...

Once again, I smile.