Monday, October 01, 2007

Organic

I know many of my readers (probably most) are into the whole organic foods thing. I have not yet joined your ranks and, based on my experience today, am not headed in that direction.

We are having Italian food tonight--spaghetti, garlic bread and salad. So last night at the grocery store, I bought the only available head of lettuce--an organic butter lettuce head. I just opened up the container (can I say that it makes no sense to me that they package organic produce in fancy plastic containers) and was washing the lettuce when I discovered a whole family of worms living in my future salad. I'm not talking about just a momma and papa worm. I'm talking about mama, papa, and several other generations. . . probably about 10-12 worms total. GROSS...double gross.

I know worms in produce are a fact of life, but I am a boneless-skinless-chicken-kind-of-shopper and I don't usually like to buy worms with my Tuesday dinner salad. I'm still debating on what to do with the freshly washed, de-wormed head sitting in the colander. Maybe we'll just skip the lettuce and have a cucumber and tomato salad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you all the way on this one!

not2brightGRAM said...

eee-eee-w-w-ww, that's disgusting!

You already know my opinion on organic; in fact, you may have been slightly influenced growing up! Remember, I'm the girl who didn't figure out "chicken" comes from chickens when I was 12! Until then, all I knew was those tidy little boneless meat packages came from Safeway.

You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl!

Please let us know what you decided about salad last night! I would have had a hard time serving it up...

Kendra Fletcher said...

A worm in the salad got us a free dinner at a restaurant once ;D

Kendra Fletcher said...

Oh, and it was a BIG tomato worm. I can picture Calvin's scrunched up face when I think of it.

Jess(ica) said...

That is so disgusting!

Rebecca said...

The verdict: We had tossed salad for dinner (as in, we tossed the salad into the trash!)

not2brightGRAM said...

I guess they're everywhere! I sent a nectarine in Rick's lunch this morning, and he came home reporting that a small worm family had homesteaded in it. Needless to say, they won and he was down one fruit for the day.

And these were NOT in the organic section of the produce department! :-p