Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Focus


Our pastor said something last Sunday that has been rumbling around in my head all week. He said, "Don't let the FORM of your faith cause you to miss the FOCUS of your faith, namely Christ Jesus." Although this was said in the context of a sermon being preached on Romans 2, I can't help but think of Hebrews 12:2.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus,
the author and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy set before him endured the cross,
scorning its shame,
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.


The question I have been asking myself all week and which I now put to you is this: Are your eyes fixed on Christ? Are you fascinated with Christ? In love with Him? Is he your waking thought in the morning and your last thought before slipping into sleep?

I don't know where you are in your walk of faith, but wherever you are I encourage you: "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles" and run toward Jesus! (Heb 12:1) Whether you be entangled in the grossest of sins or simply weighted down with trappings of religiosity and morality, the end result is the same. . . you cannot run freely to the arms of Jesus.

Photo:
Singaporean Sunset by Joshua Redin

5 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Sobering reminder... Thanks!

not2brightGRAM said...

Whoa! I just noticed when I went back that Josh took that photo! It's stunning...

He needs to submit it to an online stock photo place where he can copyright it.

Luke Merrill said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement! Hmmm, I'm going to have to figure out how to visit you when I get back to the states. Dan and I will have to start planning or something :)

kirsten said...

Amen!!

christianne said...

I love that you wrote this, Rebecca. Sometimes I get so off-center in my life, and it takes coming back to the Scriptures on a daily basis, immersing myself in its story, both Old Testament and New, to regain my focus on His delightful and compassionate face. I do fall in love with Him all over again when I immerse myself in Him . . . and yet not doing so pulls His beautiful face from my vision so quickly, without my even realizing that I've lost my gaze on my Beloved. This post has been a gentle reminder to me of what comes first of all. Thank you for sharing.