Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Books

I removed the "Currently Reading" section on my side bar. I like Blogspot, but the sidebars are a little unwieldy to manage (unless you're a pro at writing code in HTML). So, I decided that I'll just post quick book reviews every now and then when I run across a good book.

Lately, I've rediscovered the joy of borrowing books from the library. That place is a goldmine and it's all free!! So, I've been reading voraciously and have finished several books in the last few weeks.

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey: Even though this book is geared toward people in financial crisis (aka lots of debt), there is a lot of practical wisdom that anyone can use. A lot of things didn't apply to our situation, since, thankfully, we don't have any debt. But, even so, I did learn a lot about goal setting and planning for the future. It's a lot of stuff you've probably heard before, but it's a good reminder and it never hurts to examine your finances and make sure you're being a good steward. The book won't take long to read so if you're looking for a productive way to spend the weekend, set aside a few hours to read this one.

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon: I was looking for some light, fun reading and this book hit the spot. This is the first book in the Mitford Series. I usually shy away from series books, especially "Christian" ones, as they tend to be sappy and poorly written. This book, however, was a pleasant surprise. It's delightful and well written and not at all trite. Check it out. . .

The Most Important Place on Earth by Robert Wolgemuth: I heard about this book on Focus on the Family. This was one book that I decided to purchase instead of borrow. I am so glad I did! It is excellent and full of challenging ideas for creating a home that exudes the love of Christ. It is geared toward the family setting, but honestly, I believe any Christian would benefit from reading this book. Even if marriage and children are years away, this book will challenge you and give you plenty to pray about. I will definitely be rereading this book several times as the years pass. There is so much "there there" that one read-through isn't enough.

No comments: