Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Mother's Sick Day

I remember when I worked for the City and had oodles of sick days accrued to my account. Back then, a sick day meant crawling under the covers and sleeping for five or six hours. It meant waking in the afternoon to a steaming bowl of chicken soup and a long hot bath. It meant taking Asprin or Nyquill. It meant watching a favorite movie and finishing the book on the nightstand. It meant all housework ceased and the laundry waited.

A Mother's sick day has a much different meaning. It means wiping a snotty nose that's not your own. It means waking up to soothe a coughing, feverish boy five times in one night, even though your body is achy and sluggish. It means toughing it out without any medicine to protect the little baby growing inside. It means making Jello and crushing ice to be sure that your sick toddler gets enough fluid. It means washing a favorite blanket and mopping up spilled apple juice from the kitchen floor. It means learning how to consider others better than yourself, when "yourself" is all you feel like considering (Phil 2:3).


Caleb and I came down with a nasty cold flu several days ago. This morning, after a fitful night's sleep, I found him crashed on the couch after breakfast.

Sleep, my little one. Mommy is nearby.

5 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

My dearest daughter, you have described the essence of motherhood. I wish I were there to help you out so that you could snuggle next to Caleb on the couch and sleep. Love you!

This and That said...

It is such a coincidence that you write about this. I (who work for the city and have oodles of sick time) came home with a headache and slept it off for a few hours.
This is what being sick means to me at this point of my life but I know that someday it may all change.

Anonymous said...

welcome to motherhood!!!! one time we all (5) had the flu, and guess who had to keep going???? more fun...hope you are feeling better now...did Josh get it???

Jess(ica) said...

I am sorry you are both sick =(

I hope you got to take a nap when Caleb did!

Lauren said...

Rebecca, I hope you and your little guy are feeling better now! You really captured this experience... I have a son about your age and we haven't had the experience yet of getting sick at the same time, though I have longed for the days of pre-baby movie marathons and long naps when I'm feeling under the weather.

I am a friend of Christianne's and have been reading your blog for about a year---finally mustering up the courage to comment! Thanks for sharing your heart and life with us.