Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The most important question. . .

Josh is now in his second week of classes. What we have discovered is that teaching is more than a full-time job. In fact, I think teaching might be the second-most time-consuming job in the world (motherhood being the first).

I am sure it will get easier for him as he settles into a routine, but even with a routine, it is difficult to lesson plan, grade and teach 125 students ranging in age from 6 to 18 years old. Despite all the obstacles, Josh has kept a great attitude and has risen to meet the challenge. I admire the fact that he doesn't complain when the alarm has gone off at 5:00 AM after only a few hours of sleep. I admire that he hasn't taken the easy way out and gone with status-quo, but has thoughtfully attempted to make each class the best it can be. The thing I admire most, however, is that Josh is continually asking himself the most important question, "What can I do to make a difference for Christ?". . . After all, isn't that why we're here. Isn't that why you're there.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I really respect teachers. Many teachers put in an exorbant amount of time. Never will I begrudge teachers their summer. They are overworked and underpaid. The biggest difference we can make for Christ is day to day living and how we respond to life.

kirsten said...

Amen, and amen. This is why we're here!

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work...sounds like his studens are very lucky to have such a decated teacher...`was nice talking to you and seening you at the same time.. caleb is getting sooo big!!!!hope his cold is better by now...... `

christianne said...

I loved reading this story. It really is amazing all that teachers do. I'm reminded of that often when I spend time with my mom.

not2brightGRAM said...

Wow, I just looked at Josh's computer assignment blog (linked from everyday singapore) and it is astounding to see the effort he has already put into this teaching assignment.

You have every reason to be proud of your man!