Tuesday, August 14, 2007

From My Kitchen Window

Per Kendra's request, I took a picture from my kitchen window. . . well, actually from the doorway into my kitchen, but you can see the window. The kitchen is, hmmm, how shall I say this, tiny. And, it's HOT. But, there is a heavy wooden sliding door that closes off the kitchen from the rest of the house, which, although it creates a sauna-like effect in the kitchen, is a good idea because it keeps the food smell from permeating the entire house. The glass door opens to a small balcony where the laundry is washed in cold-water-only-teeny-tiny-washer. Most people hang their clothes to dry here, which is a mystery to me, since it is so humid that it takes three days to get anything dry. One of our first purchases was a small electric dryer, which is also on the balcony, just below the window. We've heard that electricity is outrageous here, but my mental well-being was dependent upon having fresh smelling, dry clothes. =)




The view from our living room window is actually a much better view. Our flat is located on the 4th floor and our building faces a naturally forested hill. The foliage here is very lush--almost rain forest-ish. I'll probably be posting more about the climate and foliage on the Singapore site, but at least now you know what I look at when I open the drapes in the morning.


Here is a picture of my favorite room in the flat. We put up new drapes and bought a bed and duvet and lamp. It's really the only room that is decorated 100% with furniture we chose. . . the rest of the house came partially furnished. We like the other furniture okay, but white couches and glass tables aren't exactly a great choice with a busy toddler in the house! I'll post more pictures of the rest of the flat once we're done settling in.

3 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Quite cozy and a gorgeous view from your living room...

I wonder if any unusual animals will greet you outside that window one morning.

Of course, Curious George resides inside! ;-)

kirsten said...

It's great to see pictures of your new digs & get a better idea of what your day-to-day surroundings look like.

Can't wait to hear/see more ...

Anonymous said...

thanks for the insight of your living area...have you seen any monkeys yet on your deck??? looks like you are getting time in to read...keep us all informed!!! love ya and miss you all...gee gee