Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Holy Moly Green Guacamole!!

Does your guacamole turn brown overnight? Mine does! Or rather. . . DID. This weekend I was over at my dad's house for dinner and learned a kitchen secret that my gourmet granny taught my dad years ago. Somehow the knowledge didn't make it to me until just a few days ago.

The secret to keeping your guacamole green is in the pits! Prepare your guacamole as usual but instead of tossing those avocado pits, save them. When you're done making the guacamole, drop the pits into the dish. I'm not sure what the exact science of it is, but I guess the pits release some sort of chemical that keeps the avocado from turning brown.

On Sunday, I brought home some of my dad's delicious guacamole (pits included) and served the leftovers to guests last night. It was still as green as the day it was made. . .four days later!

Maybe this is one of those commonly known things and I was just out of the loop, but I thought I'd share it just in case!

6 comments:

kirsten said...

Thank you for this bit of information! I make my own guac a lot & wondered if there was some secret for keeping it fresh.

I was going to make some tonight, so you know I'm going to try it!!

L.L. Barkat said...

Came over from Kirsten's...

this is such a fabulous thing... who knew that keeping our "pits" could also somehow work towards preservation (I'm thinking there's a lesson in here somewhere).

Fletch said...

Reb- you are quite the budding food scientist...can you please work on the following for me:
1. Choosing a good watermelon
2. Keeping lettuce from wilting
3. Keeping bananas yellow
4. The pitless cherry
5. Deskinning kiwifruit

Fletch

christianne said...

Fletch's comment is hilarious. I do know that you can buy these tupperware thingamabobs that keep your lettuce fresh and crispy, so I think that answers question #2. :)

kirsten said...

Hmmm ... this didn't work for me. Where did I go wrong. I was so thrilled to have found an answer, but alas ... my guac turned brown (but still tastes delish!!).

not2brightGRAM said...

Fletch, regarding #3:

Spray paint works well.