Thursday, April 05, 2007

Friday Favorite: Blackberries

I know this Friday Favorite is a day early, but in our house, today is Friday. Josh has tomorrow off and so I won't be spending any time at the computer. I probably won't be at the computer all weekend so I'll take this opportunity to wish each of you a very joyful Resurrection Sunday! Christ has risen! He has risen indeed!

(the blackberries in this photo aren't ripe yet, but it was the best photo I could find)

I'm a fruit lover. . . crisp Granny Smith apples, firm sweet strawberries, cool green grapes, yellow nectarines, summer peaches, fresh pineapple, tart mango, sour kiwi. . .YUM! There aren't many fruits I don't love (cantaloupe and honeydew are two on my black list). But, despite the plethora of delicious fruit options here in the sunny state of CA, one little fruit stands out: blackberries. I don't know what it is about those little berries, but they are a tempting treat and a great dessert alternative. One of the saddest parts about moving is leaving behind our thriving berry patch. The blossoms are just now filling the vines and Farmer Rebecca forecasts that there is going to be a wonderful and prolific blackberry harvest this summer. I hope the new owners won't let them go to waste! Perhaps I should have made that a condition of the sale!

4 comments:

kirsten said...

What a fantastic photo!! I am a berry lover too. How sad that you have to leave your patch behind - it's always nice to have them close by. May wherever you move be close to another such patch. :o)

christianne said...

What a great post! I really enjoyed reading about your love of the fruit family. It made me wonder why you don't like cantaloupe. I don't like it, either, because I ate too much of it on Saturday mornings growing up. Blech.

I love what you said about Farmer Rebecca. :)

not2brightGRAM said...

Cantaloupe... ahhhh-h-h!

When I was growing up, it made me think of orange sherbet (go figure; maybe the color?), and I have loved it ever since! Nothing like a sweet ripe slice of it.

I remember when you were a toddler, you could eat more yellow (crooked neck) squash than any ADULT I knew! We grew it in our garden, and you'd devour it as quickly as it ripened.

I hope that someday, you'll have a HUGE garden spread to enjoy.

In the meantime, there are some creative ways to grow a few things on an apartment patio...

Christin said...

What a fun post. I am not much of a fruit lover, but you made me crave a big plate full of colorful sweetness. I have to agree with you on the cantaloupe thing - yuck. I have an aversion to just about anything melon.

I wish I could take you to my grandmother's farm. Up on her land there is a HUGE wild blackberry patch. It is about 8-10 feet tall and 50-75 feet across (I had to ask my dad, I am no good at figuring that kind of thing out). Of course, it is impossible to get to most of the berries, unless you have a longing for severe bodily injury. But, there are enough berries around the outside edge to keep any pickers satisfied.