Monday, December 17, 2007

Photography

Lately, I have been stealing ideas from my friends. I don't know if you can call it plagiarism, exactly. . . maybe more like inspiration.

There's Fletch, who recently posted an exhibit of some his amazing photos, and Kirsten who is constantly unveiling very artistic new profile pictures, and Gina who just posted some awesome Christmas portraits. Then, there is L.L. Barkat, whom I haven't actually met, but whose blog is teeming with great photography. And, of course, there's always D.V. who has never taken a bad photo in his life and who could probably win international prizes for some of his shots (since his blog is set to private, you can click here and here to get a sampling).

Anyway, I've decided that I really want to learn more about photography. I don't know much, so the best I can do right now is try to imitate. This morning I studied some of the professional portraits we had taken in July and, utilizing a few tips D.V. gave me a while ago, I came up with this:

A Portrait of a 14-Month-Old

This portrait leaves plenty of room for improvement, but it's way better than my usual flash-on, cluttered-background shots.

If any of you have any tips on how I could have improved the shot or just tips in general, please, please let me know!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice comment. Two of my favorite photographers are: Byron Wolfe (www.byronwolfe.com) and Nick Kelsh (http://72.10.35.23). Specifically, Kelsh has published great books for the average photographer to improve their skills. Really, they are fantastic...we own two of them (How to Photograph Your Life and How to Photograph Your Baby).
Fletch

not2brightGRAM said...

I think it's great. I like the way the background matches his eyes. I like that he is centered in the right 3/5 of the frame. And I like the subdued colors.

I'm no expert, but it is pleasing to my eye.

not2brightGRAM said...

Oh, and I agree. D.V. takes the most amazing shots.

christianne said...

Oh, that is SUCH a great picture of Caleb!

I, too, have been inspired to get into photography. It started with Kirsten's lovely blog and has moved to some of the other more artistic blogs I now frequent (which you can find in the second sidebar of links on my blog).

And actually, I already know that my Christmas gift from Kirk is a brand new, sleek digital camera that I can carry around in my purse! So I'll be taking it seriously in the new year, too. I was glad to learn of that book, How to Photograph Your Life. I'll have to look into it.

By the way, I just have to say that if you're going to be putting your hand to the photography plow, I have no doubt that you will be wonderfully successful. I just know you will.

Sharon said...

Great picture of Caleb. I think every photo's really capture the moment. Check out this blog http://www.xanga.com/H0LDfast
She really has daring pictures of her family/life. I like it how you always keep your camera handy to take photos. Safe Travels!

kirsten said...

That's a BEAUTIFUL photo of your son, Bec! For me, it's all about experimentation. It's easy to post the good ones & not share the hundreds of duds I delete. I'm constantly playing with settings & angles & whatnot. When I'm looking through my camera, I see the world and the people in it in a whole new way & that's what I aim to capture. But I'm going to have to check out that book Christianne mentioned -- sounds like something that would be useful!

You are so very creative, I have no doubt that you'll find your own unique & beautiful creative expression. You've just posted a beautiful portrait of Caleb and some very stunning photos of Singapore ... so I look forward to seeing what else you capture through your own two eyes & that camera lens of yours.

haititrip said...

very nicely done. I like the eyes, Is that you in the reflection of his eyes?

one thing that can be done if you want a little more light but don't want the flash look is to get a big piece of white board or white cardboard and bounce a desk lamp off of it. The bigger the piece the softer the light you will get. But you can do this with any white surface, like paper (kind of small) or a wall.

Gina Marie said...

Rebecca - I thought I left a comment but it's not here. Thanks for the comment in this post - I have been getting into photography lately too. We should get together sometime and share what we're learning! :)